Saturday, September 4, 2010

Is ThisThe Year?

On the eve of the start of the 2010-2011 season, it's become clear to me that expectations have never been higher for the Canucks. As fans anticipate the start of the regular season, I find myself in awe of the media hype surrounding this year's edition of cup hopefuls. But perhaps this time, they truly are cup contenders and not mislabelled pretenders.

Up until 2 years ago, I'd expect a Canucks squad to bow out in the first round. Get upset by a lower seeded team. Listen to the excuses. Wait for the coming year. "Next year will be the year!". Now however, the winds have changed in Vancouver. New management with a 'moneypuck' vision - a history within the NHL first as a player, then as an agent, and now as a mastermind in the ultimate puzzle that is managing a stanley cup contending team within the constraints of a salary cap. So far Mike Gillis has fared well, and Canuck fans might be looking at the best team the organisation has ever iced in it's 40 year history. But is it good enough to beat the reigning champion Chicago Blackhawks, the team that's ended Vancouver's cup hopes 2 years in a row?

Time will tell... but perhaps for good luck I'll try a different method. Maybe I'll wear my sweater for home games, and my jersey for away games.

No comments:

Post a Comment